It's important to feed the birds during the winter, but that doesn't mean it has to be a chore. Put some life into that birdseed and spruce up those bare trees with some fun, easy-to-make DIY birdseed ornaments!
Not only are these ornaments fun and affordable, but they make for great outdoor decorations and provide much-needed nutrition for the birds braving the difficult weather of winter. So get out the old cookie cutters, set aside a couple of hours, and make a (charming) difference this season!
DIY Birdseed Ornaments
- 4 cups birdseed
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp. corn syrup
- 1 packet of unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup flour
- Non-stick spray
- 2-3 straws
- Cookie Cutters
- Wax paper
- Ribbon or string
How to Make the Ornaments
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the water, corn syrup, gelatin, and flour to combine.
2. Add the birdseed and mix together well until the mixture feels dough-like.
3. Cover a large cookie sheet or similar flat surface with wax paper and coat the cookie cutters and surface with non-stick spray.
4. Completely fill the cookie cutters with the birdseed mixture, making sure to spread it to the edges and pack it tight.
5. Cut the straws into 2" pieces and stab it all the way through the birdseed.
6. Let dry for 2-3 hours.
7. Remove the straw, then carefully remove the birdseed mixture from the mold.
8. Let cure overnight.
9. Thread your ribbon or string through the hole left by the straw and tie it at the top.
10. Hang the ornaments from the trees in your area and enjoy watching the birds snack!
That's it! These ornaments are extremely simple to make and are great projects for the kids. Not only is it fun to create but it's even more fun to watch the birds stop for a snack.